Douglass' membership form


On this day, 100 years ago an IMechE member was killed in action.

Percy Cuthbert Douglass Douglass: 10th December

Douglass' membership form
Douglass’ membership form

Graduate 1907; Associate Member 1912.

Resident Engineer, Buckie Harbour Extention Works.

Flight Commander, Royal Naval Air Force, 2 Wing Stravros (Pilot).

Killed in Sopwith Strutter No N5618, crash landing after combat over Imbros. Observer Lieutenant W Hinsley injured.

1918 Obituary 

Flight-Commander PERCY CUTHBERT DOUGLASS DOUGLASS, R.N.A.S., was born at St. Mary’s, Scilly Isles, on 28th September 1886.

He was educated at Marlborough College and under private tutors, and at the age of nineteen was articled to his father, the late Mr. W. T. Douglass, of Westminster.

He received the practical side of his engineering education from 1906 to 1908 at the works of Messrs. Andrew Barclay and Co., Kilmarnock, the Steel Co. of Scotland, and Messrs. Simons and Co., Renfrew, after which he returned to assist his father in the preparation of plans, specifications, and inspections of lighthouse lanterns, apparatus, machinery, steel towers, gas buoys and gas-making plant.

In 1910 he was appointed assistant resident engineer for the Buckie Harbour Extension Works, which his father was building.

Two years later he returned to work in the London office, but was only there a few months before his father died. He then became head of the firm and carried on the work until shortly after the outbreak of the war. The chief work carried out by him in that year was in connection with Buckie and other harbours in Banffshire, also the parade and marine drive at Exmouth, and his duties as engineer to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

In April 1915 he received a Commission as Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Naval .Division, but at the request of the Admiralty he shortly transferred to the Royal Naval Air Service for balloon work, with which he was well acquainted, owing to his pre-war experience in a Territorial Balloon Company. He went immediately to Gallipoli with a kite-balloon section, and during the campaign he was given command of the section and promoted to Lieutenant.

On his return to England in April 1916 he was lent temporarily to the Aerial Construction Corps and given command of a camp.

Early in 1917 he again went to the Eastern Mediterranean, and when there transferred to the aeroplane branch of the service. In September he was promoted to Flight-Commander.

His death took place from an aeroplane accident on 10th December 1917, at the age of thirty-one.

He was elected a Graduate of this institution in 1907, and an Associate Member in 1912.

Institution First World War Honour Roll

Members log in to Ancestry, via our Virtual Library, to access membership records for free.

Archive, Institution of Mechanical Engineers



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s