Since 1847 Proceedings from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers meetings have been published. As the successor body of the Institutions of Automobile and Locomotive Engineers the collection covers the full range of mechanical engineering expertise (see below for a full list of titles). This vast archive of over 150 years worth of engineering knowledge is available to view in our Library at 1 Birdcage Walk or online via our Virtual Library (free for members). Anyone can search the collection online.
The papers are fully illustrated, providing a wealth of detailed and revolutionary engineering drawings, such as elevations for the first jet engine and its successors (such as the one seen here). Post-paper debates can be fascinating for example, the views of the audience on hearing a paper on women working in munition factories during World War I (also the first paper to be presented by a women, Oive Monkhouse 1918, a non-member).
Members lists are also included, as are details of summer meetings. These were historically held abroad where they undertook trips to seminal engineering events such as, the construction of the Eiffel Tower or Brooklyn Bridge.
- ‘On the fallacies of the rotary engine’ – George Stephenson, 1894
- ‘Description of the compound steam turbine and turbo-electric generator’– Charles Algernon Parsons, 1888‘
- The flying machine: the aerofoil in the light of theory and experiment’– Frederick William Lanchester, 1915‘
- Atomic projectiles and their applications’ – Ernest Rutherford, 1932
- ‘The early history of the Whittle jet propulsion gas turbine’ – Frank Whittle, 1945
- ‘The possibilities of nuclear energy for heat and power production’– John Douglas Cockcroft, 1947
- ‘Concorde in Service’ – W J Strang and R M McKinley, 1978
Full text and illustrations are accessible from 1847 up to and including the preceding 12 months. Copies of papers can be purchased for £18 including VAT, email email@example.com
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1847-
- Proceedings of the Institution of Automobile Engineers, 1906-1946
- Journal of the Institution of Locomotive Engineers, 1911-1969
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Automobile Division, 1947-1969
- Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 1959-1982
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Conference Proceedings, 1963-1969
- Engineering in Medicine, 1971-1988